Changes to policy for NB

After this last Ken V Matt round it has come to my attention that there are no guidelines for common decency in posting and in the treatment of Pm’s. We have allot of things in the FAQ about how to post a smiley but nothing about abusive behavior, language, ect…
this should finally be addressed.

Are you fucking kidding me? Review your posts than tell me how to construct a standard of decency. I’ve tried to refrain from most on this matter, but your request is beyond fucking absurd considering your common conduct on several threads, especially in context of “decency”, “abusive language/behavior”, and proper conduct. If I recall, weren’t you removed from moderation due to violation of set standards? Go be Captain America (*Generation Kill reference, since you’re all about the Cubs and Pop Culture…only) and continue to campaign against the left on here with incoherent bullshit and double standards of conduct.

Tony is absolutely right. Ken, you of all people are in no position to call for decency standards. I know that I have felt personally attacked by you on past threads, and I have witnessed your bratty and defensive attitude for the past few years. Everyone else seems to have a working understanding of how to interact on the internet without broader regulation…everyone, that is, except for people like you. I have seen Matt make statements towards you that were certainly not very nice or understanding, but which were still relatively civil.

And good luck with your aimless censorship. PMs are like emails–you send them, and the person receiving them can do what they want. Is it illegal or improper to forward an email? At worst it’s impolite, but if you are willing to type it and send it to another human being, you better be willing for it to go public unless that human being is a psychologist, lawyer, spouse, or pastor–there is nothing about a net-benefits PM that is privileged or necessarily “private”.

Writing as a poster and not a moderator, I think there are three simple reasons why any decency codes (i.e. punishment for disobeying conduct rules) are bad ideas.

Conduct rules are inherently arbitrary and difficult to enforce.

Posters are adults capable of regulating themselves and not in need of parenting by moderators / administrators.

Disagreements should be resolved at the lowest point of conflict. Members can resolve conflicts by accommodating one another or ignoring one another.

Moderators are here to keep the site running smoothly. We’re maintenance workers, not cops.

[QUOTE=Arabian Knight;207519]Writing as a poster and not a moderator, I think there are three simple reasons why any decency codes (i.e. punishment for disobeying conduct rules) are bad ideas.

Conduct rules are inherently arbitrary and difficult to enforce.

Posters are adults capable of regulating themselves and not in need of parenting by moderators / administrators.

Disagreements should be resolved at the lowest point of conflict. Members can resolve conflicts by accommodating one another or ignoring one another.

Moderators are here to keep the site running smoothly. We’re maintenance workers, not cops.[/QUOTE]

1. no they aren’t. I am talking basics here. You post a PM or you can’t seem to type any words but fuck.
  2. agreed but sometimes it can’t
  3. agreed again…but with nothing we get total anarchy

[QUOTE=GuidoProject;207515]Are you fucking kidding me? Review your posts than tell me how to construct a standard of decency. I’ve tried to refrain from most on this matter, but your request is beyond fucking absurd considering your common conduct on several threads, especially in context of “decency”, “abusive language/behavior”, and proper conduct. If I recall, weren’t you removed from moderation due to violation of set standards? Go be Captain America (*Generation Kill reference, since you’re all about the Cubs and Pop Culture…only) and continue to campaign against the left on here with incoherent bullshit and double standards of conduct.[/QUOTE]

A. never said I was a perfect angel
B. No its not absurd and yes I post PMs all the time
C.Got your reference on Gen Kill. Not a bad program but way off base. I also am not campaigning against any party or train of thought. Nor do I sek to classify you as an idiot…but you do it for me. And your Hast G on me is also way off base. Yeah I like the Cubs and my fair share of pop culture. They are a nice break from reality. I also care about my wife, my kids, world issues, my Soldiers, and for no apperant reason your safety in the global community. But I am in no way a glory hound like your reference was. He was a world calss idiot and should have never have been in command. He was also a coward on the battle field…is this your intent??

[QUOTE=kpreston;207517]Tony is absolutely right. Ken, you of all people are in no position to call for decency standards. I know that I have felt personally attacked by you on past threads, and I have witnessed your bratty and defensive attitude for the past few years. Everyone else seems to have a working understanding of how to interact on the internet without broader regulation…everyone, that is, except for people like you. I have seen Matt make statements towards you that were certainly not very nice or understanding, but which were still relatively civil.

And good luck with your aimless censorship. PMs are like emails–you send them, and the person receiving them can do what they want. Is it illegal or improper to forward an email? At worst it’s impolite, but if you are willing to type it and send it to another human being, you better be willing for it to go public unless that human being is a psychologist, lawyer, spouse, or pastor–there is nothing about a net-benefits PM that is privileged or necessarily “private”.[/QUOTE]

You have not been privy to all katherine and while we had our spats we were able to talk through them to an understanding. Matt is not capable of this. I am not asking for censorship in any way but that a line of common decency be drawn and if I need to clean up a bit too then great. I am not against that notion. And if you look I usually do not start with an attack but defend (there have been a few times where this was not the case I will admit)

Well off to work…have a good one

Not wearing my moderator’s hat right now, I’ll just say this–

I think that KP has a very good point when she says that unless you’re talking to a psychologist, doctor, lawyer, spouse or minister, there is no set standard of confidentiality. I would take that even one step further–in my pastoral counseling class this semester, we spent about a month on the ethics of matters like confidentiality and the class came to the conclusion that unless there was pastoral care taking place, that a conversation was not necessarily confidential. That is, if we were talking to folks as acquaintances or friends or what have you, that there should not be an expectation of confidentiality.

I think the same holds true here. So unless I am missing something about your’s and Matt’s connection to the other, here is nothing intrinsic about Matt’s role in your life that requires any confidentiality on his part. Again, it may not have been the most tactful move, but neither was sending the PM in the first place.

With that said, I’m not sure why we should take the step of creating those additional rules which otherwise do not exist in society. Really, if it is a matter of decency, it seems a lot easier to just not send such PMs in the first place.

ETA: Ken, some of us are okay with the concept of anarchy…fuck the state. :slight_smile:

Army CPT is a mod for some unknown reason and I can’t ignore him. Can that be changed?