End the war against women

Hi Friends.
I rarely forward any of the many, many online actions I participate in. However, lately I’ve simply had enough of the crazy stuff that elected officials (and those hoping to become so in November) have been saying about women’s health. It is perhaps no surprise that wealthy white men might be woefully ignorant about these issues (despite their continued desire to legislate them), but lately even some elected (or hopeful) women have been joining the fray. It’s become truly disturbing. The anti-woman rhetoric that has been coming out of the woodwork the past few years has been positively medieval. This has been bothering me for some time now, but the message below, which relates to some recent comments from a member of Congress about “legitimate rape”, is what really set me off. Yet this is only the tip of the iceberg. If you don’t think women’s issues have been under siege for the past few years, and particularly during this election season, you may not have been paying attention.

For a basic primer of some of the lies being told about women’s health and their bodies, see:

I don’t really care so much whether or not anyone clicks through and signs the petition below (after all, it is only a petition), but please, please do something, anything, to help counter the vast disinformation campaign that is being carried out to deny women the right to control their own bodies, to protect themselves, and to be fully empowered and equal members of our society. Please do something to ensure that today’s little girls and young women have just as much opportunity and security as today’s little boys and young men. We must demand accountability from our elected leaders. We are talking about our mothers, our daughters, our sisters, our partners, our friends, our neighbors, our teachers, our students, our leaders, our innovators, our scientists, our athletes, our attorneys, our caregivers, and so, so much more. After all they have done for their country, their company, their school, their neighborhood, and their family, surely they deserve better than this.

Dear Friend,

This is outrageous even for a Tea Party Republican.

Congressman Todd Akin, a member of the House and a Tea Party Republican
Senate nominee, stated publicly that survivors of “legitimate rape” have
biological defenses against pregnancy: “First of all, from what I
understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare… If it’s a
legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing
down.”

This is not only an outright falsehood, but it’s an offensive attack on
women.

Tell Rep. Todd Akin: Stop lying about rape, and apologize to women.

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/akin_lying/?r_by=45445-776769-4GCLKox&rc=mailto1