Rounds That Were Rigged

Okay, so lets face it, we ALL know that several rounds in the game were rigged, and I figure that now that the game is over we can fess up and admit how we would have truly voted.

I’ll start: TinyTall, your round was rigged. Matt and I communicated after the panel was set up since he was my strongest ally in the game. Jimmy (The Rev.) is a good friend of mine and we debated together at the coop (we actually faced Kyle, the other judge during one of our rounds, but his ballot was uninfluenced). Essentially, the round was set up unfairly, I didn’t really understand why Jimmy and I got to judge on the same panel.

Absent game-politics, I probably would have voted for stanford since the K was dropped. However, it was really close since the K was somewhat lacking in dispositional analysis, which came out somewhat late. It was a close round. And you did well.

Okay… time for the next confession:

Hajeer,

I didn’t know all the details of this game, but I don’t really see a need to start a thread like this.

I think it is sort of cruel to say to someone, “Oh, yeah, you think you’re a good debater? Uh-uh, your round was set up from the start.”

Maybe I am wrong, but I know that I would be quite pissed if someone did this to me, game or no game.

Originally posted by bnm
[B]Hajeer,

I didn’t know all the details of this game, but I don’t really see a need to start a thread like this.

I think it is sort of cruel to say to someone, “Oh, yeah, you think you’re a good debater? Uh-uh, your round was set up from the start.”

Maybe I am wrong, but I know that I would be quite pissed if someone did this to me, game or no game. [/B]

Just to clarify, this is in NO WAY meant to insult Tiny. I want to make that clear. I’m sure she’s a great person, there’s no “IN YOU FACE” type of insult intended with it. I just figured debaters would be interested in knowing how their rounds went. I know a couple debaters were disappointed the summer debates got mixed with the summer games, since they wanted politics-free judging.

I just want to clarify that I wasn’t involved in the rigging of the round between Matt and Andrea. I made my decision unknowing of Hajeer’s plotting.

Just want to clear that up before any confusion.

Kyle

I actually appreciate knowing… just to keep things in perspective. Also, a request-- since there is now a Tiny and a TinyTall on the boards, could those two be differentiated? Thanks!

Sure, I edited it to clear the confusion.

Anyway, others are welcome to post their judging confessions here.

I specified Andrea. So there.

Kyle

This is a great thread to have. I am amused.

There was some round that I voted for Darryl.
I thought he won hands down.
People tried to corrupt me, but it was unnecessary.

In place of a steamy confession, accept this Haiku:

You might solve some 'search
but the counterplan solves too
Plus you still bite Bush.

I have to say, I was surprised how much actual debating ability came into this. Everyone figured that all the rounds would be rigged, but the significant majority weren’t, and the actual winner of the round moved on. I liked it this way much better than a bunch of real rounds, because, like Last Comic Standing, the point was to get the most talented people in at the end.

Dan

I have to say, I was surprised how much actual debating ability came into this.

I was also shocked – thought that approximately every round would be rigged. I managed to get through without a single rigged ballot, well aside from Lucy (your PM is on the way).

Oh yeah, on the no-reason-to-lie-anymore record:

I was asked to rig the Jed/Jake match. I agreed to the request, but judged on the merits anyhow. Both parties approached me individually for my judging philosophy and to ask whether the round was rigged, and I gave them both the straight answer – was a very hard round to judge, by the way, close all the way through.

Patrick McKenzie

If I run another game, I will use a seperate (putatively unbiased) judging pool.

FYI.

I was asked to rig the Andrea/Marie debate in favor of Marie. Fortunatly, I had no ethical conflict when I realized Marie had won on the flow w/ that “ethical imperitive”.

beep

it seems most of my rounds were rigged. What’s up with that?

It might have been my fault; see the confessional. I was trying to sell the “Andrea’s giant secret alliance will kill us all!” story.

I’m rather amused I was considered that well-connected and worthy of worry.

I guess I’ll put this here. While I never directly rigged a round, I did occasionally help write other’s cases to get the result I wanted. Namly Lucy and Phil (that “stupid lame little K” on the tradition voter was mine. Sorry Hajeer).

i was thinking about rigging the round that I judged Tinytall, but I really didn’t care all that much (see my confessional rant) and I never got around to soliciting offers. I think I picked up Andrea, but if I did or didn’t, it was on the merits of the case.

The round of APDA Jon vs. Prez would have been sorta rigged had it been debated out - I had been approached (i think by marie) to pick up Jon over Prez. The result of this wasn’t necessarily an automatic ballot, but I did tell John what I knew about the case (which it turns out he already knew) and judge it on the flow while predisposed. ie, if Prez could have really beaten that opp, I may have voted for her. but I never had to fret over it cuz she dropped out.