Schally Doctrine TL;DR version

[CENTER][B]Schally Doctrine TL;DR[/B][/CENTER]
Coach at Oregon 4 years parli/policy. I make an effort to thoughtfully evaluate and reward good debate, and help you improve it. I expect a lot but if you want your hard work celebrated then I am a probably a good critic to prefer. Thanks for reading. Since no one is tabula rasa, here are some of the things that are on my tabula:

? In front of me you are almost always better off doing what you do well rather than attempting to cater to my partiality. You want to read two counterplans? Make it rain. Read a poem? Frost me.

? I will not vote on an argument as ?dropped? if it is intuitively answered by another argument in a speech.

? I am perfectly comfortable passing judgment. If an argument does not rise to a minimum threshold of sense and/or explanation, I will disregard it.

? Debate is a communication activity and good debaters recognize that fact ? time pressures and all ? they can afford to explain, be funny, and identify failures and correct them.

? Rule 1 of winning debates is control the frame: is conditionality good/bad to be decided on education or fairness, is timeframe or magnitude more important, is social welfare or maximizing liberty more important? . . . These meta-level comparisons, or arguments that resolve arguments, are more important than smaller line-by-line issues in 11 out of 10 debates.

? I like jokes. Even mean jokes, but not cruel jokes. Actually, even most cruel jokes. But only if everyone can agree with that they are jokes. How do you know? Social skills. It’s a matter of risk/reward.

I enjoy competitive debates that illustrate that this is a collegial activity. This activity is very intense, but recognize that everyone present feels the same pressures. Enjoy what you do. I suppose that honor is a bourgeoisie value, but I am a supporter.
[B]
STOP HERE.[/B] You’re better off spending your time researching, but if you’d like to proceed, here’s last year’s NPTE philosophy. 2012 NPTE Philosophy: http://www.net-benefits.net/showpost.php?p=233088&postcount=3

Judge Philosophy Directory