Hello to All My Fellow Members of this Zany NPDA Debate Assemblage:
It is I, your friendly neighborhood Cheese—in my full regalia as your Executive Secretary. I am writing today for two purposes: 1/ To offer reminders about NPDA Sanctioning, and 2/ To formally announce the Fall Business Meeting.
First, NPDA Sanctioning.
Under the strength and webmastery of Zach Schneider, the NPDA sanctioning system is in full operation. As such, I am seeking to remind folks of the traditional deadlines associated with sanctioning—and I intend to hold pretty tightly to NPDA mandates for sanctioning. For the month of September, I plan to be a little more lenient—because many tournaments are already past the NPDA mandated deadlines. For the rest of the season, I will be asking folks to get their materials submitted in a timely manner. Thank you to everyone who has already submitted sanctioning information—I hope to start approving tournaments this week.
In order to be sanctioned by the NPDA tournament directors need to:
Be regular or affiliate members of the NPDA (if you were a member last year, we assume you will renew your membership this year—if you don’t, then that’s an issue for next year ).
Complete the required Title IX training for your team/director (your documentation must be for the current year [in this case, the 2018-2019 school year]).
Submit sanctioning forms through the NPDA website no less than 30 days before their tournament.
Send the results from your tournament to npdaexecutivesecretary (at) gmail (dot) com within 21 days of the conclusion of your tournament. I will also accept submissions to my email at The College of Idaho, and forward them all by myself to the proper location! Please be sure to include the records of teams debating, in which division they debated, and what occurred during out-rounds. I have been told that previous Executive Secretaries were willing to track this information down by themselves—I will not be doing that. Sorry, not sorry <said: with a queer affect>.
Tournaments which fail to meet the above deadlines may not be sanctioned by the NPDA—or be provided only with Probationary Sanctioning until they comply with requirements. Tournaments marked with Probationary Sanctioning will not count towards Sweepstakes Awards until they are fully in compliance with NPDA mandates.
Second, The Fall Business Meeting.
This year, the NPDA Fall Business meeting will take place on Thursday, November 8, 2018. It will be held at the Salt Lake City Hilton, in the Topaz Room (Second Level), from 11:00AM-12:15PM. This section of the message is to comply with my constitutional duty to announce the business meeting no less than 60 days before it occurs (this message is coming a full 66 days before the meeting <winning!>).
The Preliminary Agenda includes:
- A Proposal to Amend the Constitution regarding Voting on Organizational Business and in Elections.
- A Proposal to Amend the Constitution regarding the Makeup of the Executive Council.
- A Proposal to Amend the Bylaws regarding the Publication of a List of Voting Members.
- A Proposal to Amend the Constitution regarding Voting Privileges for Institutional Membership.
- A Proposal to Amend the Bylaws regarding Ensuring Competitive Integrity and Pre-Prepared Materials.
- If you would like to submit a proposal for consideration, please email it to me—either at this address, or at npdaexecutivesecretary [at] gmail [dot] com. I would appreciate it if you could include a rationale, as well as the current language of the bylaw or constitutional article you wish to propose a change to, which clearly marks what language you would like to alter.
- This is the first call for proposals for amendments to the Bylaws or Constitution. All proposals are required to be submitted to the Executive Secretary at least 30 days before the Business Meeting at which you would like them to appear as discussion items.
- This means the deadline for Proposals for Amendments to be considered at the Fall Business Meeting is October 9, 2018.
- A full agenda for the Fall Business Meeting should be available no later than October 23, 2018.
Thank you for your kind attention. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.